Tuesday, January 26, 2010

SLOW COOKED CHICKEN CURRY

My today's post is all about slow cooking.I prepared this dish in a slow cooker.A slow cooker maintains a constant low temperature throughout while cooking and so takes a long time for it to be done.But the advantage with this slow cooking is steady low heat from the gravy infuses flavor into the meat and makes it really soft.I accentuated the flavour of this dish by adding fried onion paste to the gravy.They also help in balancing the spiciness of the dish. Its best to use a bone in meat ,that way ones they are cooked they simply fall apart from the bone.For those who dont have a slow cooker can simply cook on a low heat(simmering)in a vessel on stove top.



INGREDIENTS

Bone in Chicken - 4-5 pieces(i used 2 legs and 2 thighs)
Onions - 1 large,finely chopped
Tomato paste - 1/2 cup
ginger - 1 1/2 tsp
garlic - 1 1/2 tsp
curry leaves - of 1 sprig
Spice mix - 1 1/2 tbsp(recipe follows)
Cilantro - a small bunch,to garnish

Roast and Grind:-

Coriander seeds - 3 tbsp
Cumin seed - 1 1/2 tbsp
Black peppercorn - 1 tsp
cinnamon stick - 1/2 a piece
cardamam pod - 3 nos
Turmeric - 1 tsp
Kashmiri red chilli pdr - 2 tbsp

Fry and Grind:-

Onion - 1 large, thinly sliced
ginger - 1 tsp
garlic - 1 tsp


METHOD

Dry roast the above mentioned spices except turmeric and red chilli pdr until they turn light brown.Then remove from heat and mix in the turmeric and red chilli pdr.Grind them finely.Set aside half of the pdr in a bowl and mix in some salt.Coat each of the chicken pieces with the spice mix liberally on all sides.Let it marinate for 2 hrs.
Now fry the onions,ginger and garlc until they r lightly brown and then grind them to a smooth paste.Set it aside.
Heat some oil in a pan.Add cumin seeds,ginger,garlic and curry leaves.Stir for a minute then add the finely chopped onions.Stir until they become soft and translucent.Add the spice mix (Store the remaining spice in a dry container)and stir.Now add the tomato paste.Add some water if needed to help mix it together.Add salt.Let this cook for about 5-6 mins.Mix in the fried onion paste.Add 2 cups of water.Now pour this mixture into the slow cooker.Check the seasoning.



Coat the bottom of another pan with some oil.On a high heat brown the chicken pieces on all sides,they should not cook fully,we just want to brown them.Add them into the slow cooker and mix it until they are coated with the gravy.Put the lid and switch it on high.Let it cook for 8-9 hrs or until the meat falls apart from the bone.Garnish with coriander leaves.Serve with rice,roti etc.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Cham said...

Lovely- I never cooked in slow cooker and i don't own one! But now I wish- the chick should be juicy and flavorful.

FH said...

I love slow cookers! You get all the stuff in night before and put it on low. Next morning you wake up to Heavenly aroma! I made chili once, couldn't wait to dig in until lunch time! :D

Lovely looking chicken dish. I think chicken with bones and dark meat is better than just the breasts in slow cooker. Looks very tasty Ranji.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

I know it takes a long time to cook in a slow cooker but the taste is definitely unbeatable... The gravy has come out really nice, mouthwatering!!!

Sum Raj said...

woo ranji..meat looks soo juicy and attractive colour afcourse..

Sujatha said...

I love slow cookers too! I usually try chole or kichdi in slow cookers.. this is a good idea to try chicken curry too.. and I can imagine the flavor after this long process! will try soon..

Unknown said...

Ranjiii :) love the color of this dish, didnt expect to see this such a succulent chicken from the slow cooker when you told me about it yesterday ! Indeed delicious :) Now I know what would want as next Christmas gift ;)

Dori said...

Slow cooked sounds awesome! One pot convenience and nothing to watch over... and this recipe is delicious!

Pavithra Elangovan said...

The color of the curry is too tempting...

xandra said...

your blog is fantastic..such amazing recipes…mouthwatering recipe.

Anonymous said...

I am going to try hs recipe tomorrow. I only have ready made pins bought curry powder though, i am sure it will still taste good.
Next time i will try to make my own powder from separate ingredients. To start off with what would you recommend i buy?

Anonymous said...

Hello from London
I made this a couple of nights ago, put it in my slow cooker and left it to cook for about 8 or 8 hours while I was at work. It was amazing (although I'm not sure what curry leaf is and where I would find it - is there an equivalent - so I left that out). It was absolutely delicious and my boyfriend said it was one of the nicest curries he has ever eaten...
Thank you for this! Definitely going to make it again!