Wednesday, February 11, 2009

EGGPLANT PICKLE

Pickles are a must for me while having meals.Eggplant pickle was something i had heard of before but never tried.I had a couple of chinese eggplants in stockand so i wanted to give it a try and WOW!!it was simply delicious.Even my husband who is not fond of pickles loved it.The base of my pickle is made of garlic and pearl onion paste.It also adds a lot of flavour to the pickle .For heat and the red color i used a lot of kashmiri red chilli pdr.This gives the right heat without making it too spicy.I baked the eggplant pieces before adding them into mixture.The end result is too good.Other than with rice , it tastes great with chapathis too.

INGREDIENTS

Chinese eggplant - 2 nos, diced small
Pearl onions - 10-12 nos, peeled
Chopped garlic - 2 tsp
turmeric pdr - 1 /2 tsp
Kashmiri red chilli pdr - 2-3 tbsp(If you dont have kashmiri red chilli pdr then reduce the amount of red chilli pdr)
Asafoetida - a pinch
mustard seeds - 1 tsp
curry leaves - of 1 sprig
Tamarind paste - 2 tsp
Vinegar - 1 1/2 tsp
lemon juice - 1 tsp(optional)
salt to taste

METHOD
Preheat oven to 375 deg F.Arrange the diced eggplant pieces on a baking dish.Sprinkle with some salt and let it bake for about 15-20 mins or until they become soft and tender.
In the meantime grind the pearl onions to a smooth paste and keep aside.

Heat some oil in a wok/kadai.Add mustard seeds.Once they start to crackle add curry leaves and garlic .Saute for a few seconds.Then add turmeric and red chilli pdr.Add the onion paste and some salt.Stir it for a couple of mins.Add a pinch of asafoetida.Now add the baked eggplant pieces .Mix it well until the eggplant pieces are well coated with the mixture.Add the tamarind paste and mix it well.Using the back of a wooden spoon mash the pieces into the mixture.Remove from heat and add the vinegar and lemon juice.Mix it again.Let it cool.Serve it with rice or chapathi.Refrigerate the remaining.

23 comments:

Finla said...

I love pickles with my meals too, but i have neverhad eggplant pickle. This looks so yumm.

FH said...

I saw a Eggplant pickle jar at the Indian store last weekend but didn't buy it as I have never tasted it. Looks really really tasty. Guess what I have in the fridge. Japanese Eggplants, bought just 2 because they are $4 per lb!! :D

I will try this with one Eggplant, thali looks yummy! :)

Cham said...

OMG I love eggplant but pickle never even heard it! Sounds more delicous, chinese eggplant means is the thin and long variety? I get all varieties here and I gonna make this one sure!

Vanamala Hebbar said...

looks yummy ...sounds nice recipe

Ashwini said...

wow never heard of eggplant pickle..looks yummyy..Can we use any eggplant or just this perticaular on?..must try..

ranji said...

Thank u Asha and HC..Eggplant pickle was new to me too..hope u like it Asha.

Thank u Ashwini...Yes u can use any variety of eggplant..i used chinese eggplant since its not bitter compared to the big eggplant.

Cham..chinese eggplants are those long, thin,slender ones..light purple in color...hope u like it!!!

Trupti said...

I never tries this pickle ..must be tasted very different that other pickles

Usha said...

What an interesting recipe, using eggplants in pickle...sounds delicious, will try soon :-)

Anonymous said...

My friend would get brinjal pickle for lunch & i would eat hers.. then she started getting a share for me too. I loved it so much that i went & bought one.. which was pretty bad..
lovely!

Sum Raj said...

this is somthing new for me...looks attrative and spicy...have to give it a try soon..

jayasree said...

Interesting pickle- with eggplant. I love pickles, though have cut down the intake now.

Sia said...

i have a jar of eggplant pickle from store but urs look far better and tastier than it :)

Unknown said...

That looks yummy ! Eggplant pickle is super new for me :) What a bright color and lovely thali ranji :) I am sure you would have finished it within no time hehe :)

ranji said...

Thank u everyone for ur encouraging comments!!!I hope u gals try it and like it too :)

Siri said...

It has been such a long time I visited your blog Ranji. and there id no mail in our group too these days. Guess everybody is busy with their lives..incl me! I have two juicy eggplants in my fridge right now and fortunately I have all the ingredients listed. this pickle looks soo yummy and is a must try now. I will let you know how it turned out to be. Love the new template too babes.

Hugs,
Siri

Dori said...

What a great looking plate, and awesome recipe... another one I have to bookmark!

Anonymous said...

ranji dear..
i don't know how u get those ideas!!!nice to see ur creativity..will try this pickle next time i buy eggplant.
i usually prepare baingan phodo- a dish made of fried pieces of eggplant (can put in the pickle group).will mail the recipie .

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Hi ranji... this looks so good. I am going to try this in the weekend. Can you tell me for how many days, weeks or months.. this pickle will stay good?

Thanx!

Dori said...

Wow, tried this and LOVED it... It's definitely a keeper in my recipe book!

Gayathri said...

Wow very yummy pickle, i love eggplant

Gayathri said...

Wow very yummy pickle, i love eggplant

Gayathri said...

Wow very yummy pickle, i love eggplant

Shivali said...

eggplant pickle-This is new for me Looks yummy.