Thursday, February 5, 2009

PINEAPPLE RASAM

Rasam is a spicy soup ,very popular in South India. Pineapple rasam is one of the different kinds of rasam prepared in south India.I hadnt even heard of it until my hubby mentioned it to me.He had eaten it in his hostel in madras during his college days.First I was quite hesitant to make it as i didnt know how this new kind of rasam would turn out and i loved the regular spicy rasam .Well i gave it a try and i was quite amazed as to how good it tasted.Pineapple gives the right amount of sweet and sour taste which is not at all dominating .From then on i prepare pineapple rasam more often than the regular spicy one.So friends those who havent tried pineapple rasam yet should definitely give this a try.

INGREDIENTS
Tomato - 1 cup, chopped
Canned pineapple - 1/2 cup, chopped
pineapple juice - 1/2 cup,unsweetened
Toor dal - 1/2 cup, cooked
water - 1 1/2 - 2 cups (depending how thin one wants it)
garlic - 2 cloves,chopped
turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli pdr - 1 tsp
Rasam pdr - 1 tbsp
red chillies - 2 nos
curry leaves - of 1 sprig
cilantro - a bunch, chopped
salt to taste

For Rasam pdr:-

Corinader seeds - 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 2 tsp
Black peppercorn - 1 tsp
Red chillies - 3-4 nos

METHOD

Dry roast the ingredients for rasam pdr and grind it to a fine pdr.Keep aside

Heat some oil in a wok/kadai.Add mustard seeds.When it starts to crackle add cumin seeds,curry leaves,red chillies and garlic.Saute for a few seconds.Then add turmeric pdr,red chilli pdr ,tomatoes and pineapple pieces.Saute for a couple of mins and then add the rasam pdr and toor dal.Stir well.Now add the pineapple juice and water.Add salt to taste.Simmer and let it come to a boil.Add cilantro leaves.Serve hot with rice.

14 comments:

FH said...

I just made Dibs's Chettinadu Rasam, you made Pineapple one. Looks so good, love the thali. I also tried your Neer dosa, came out so good. I will post next week. Enjoy the meal! :)

Cham said...

Looks tasty ur thali! I love the tangy and sweet rasam, one of the classy TN rasam.

Finla said...

Pass me the platge pleas.
Don't need the sides ( if you give me the sides i will accept) just give me the rice and rasom, i will be a very happy girl more happier then now :-)

Unknown said...

Love pineapple flavored rasam, its been a while since i had them. Plate looks so good..

Usha said...

Pineapple rasam looks delicious...I just made and posted a different style of pineapple rasam recently...will try your style the next time !

Unknown said...

what a unique rasam ranji ! Never had Pineaple in rasam. Maybe we will have it next time we come to ur place:)

Ashwini said...

Love the thali ..complete lunch or dinner..Love this rasam...With both sweet and tanginess..

Unknown said...

Ranji, i have a surprise for you in my blog :)

Deepthi Shankar said...

I have heard soo much about this rasam that I got to try it now .. yumm

Anonymous said...

ranji dear...
something is missing on the thali.do u know what..it is papadam!!! rice+ rasam without papadam is not complete.a simple, healthy and tempting thali !!!!!

Bindiya said...

ranji, my mouth is watering just looking at u r rasam, lovely recipe...

Sum Raj said...

hey nice way of preparing rasam with pinapple..last week rajesh tried pinapple soup which too tasted odd for me but it was pretty ok..may be i get a touch of sweetness but he liked it a lot..will post of my blog somtime...and ut thali looks tempting...waiting for the recipe of that beans and baby corns sidedish soon...hehehe

Raaga said...

I love pineapple rasam... I made this sometime back.

Also, I had it served at my wedding lunch :-)

Andhra Flavors said...

hey Your rasam looks really tempting and your baby corn and beans are wonderful combination.