Monday, January 19, 2009

CHANA BATURA

Chana Bhatura is one of the most popular breakfast in North India.Its so popular that its sold as a fast food dish by roadside vendors.Bhatura is a fried puffy bread made out of All purpose flour(maida).I add a little bit of semolina and some slices of bread for the crispiness.Its usually served along with chana masala, a spicy and tangy chickpea dish.


BHATURA

INGREDIENTS

All purpose flour-2 cup
rava-1/4 cup(for extra crispness)
Bread - 4-5 slices,crust removed
Baking pdr - 1/4 tsp
curd-1/2 cup
water -just enough to knead to a smooth dough
salt to taste
oil for frying


Channa Masala - Click on the pic below for the recipe

METHOD

Sift the flour,salt and the baking pdr into a bowl.Break the bread and add it in the bowl.Add the curd and knead to a smooth dough adding little water.Cover it with a moist cloth and keep it aside.Allow it to ferment for 5-6 hrs or overnight.Make small size balls out of it and roll it out just like a chapathi.Dont roll out too thin ,it should be slightly thick and even ,otherwise it wont puff up.Heat the oil and fry the flattened dough.Serve it hot with chana masala.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi ranji, that looks very tasty:) thanks for the batura recipe:)

Sum Raj said...

Days passed having channa batura.. u made me drool ranji. surly this weekend am gonna try this..nice tips adding bread slice and rava to mke it crisp..will give it a try..

Anonymous said...

Yummylicious! I have never made bhatura at home.... Thanks for sharing. It looks awesome.

Trupti said...

Chaana Bhatura Looks very delicious Ranji

Meera said...

Oohh, That's so delicious!!

Ashwini said...

First time here. Channa batura looks yummy and delicious..Mouthwatering..

Divya Kudua said...

I have been resisting myself to make/eat channa batura since a long time in the name of my diet..your pictures are making me think otherwise..the puffed up baturas look so pretty Ranji...love love it!!

Sunshinemom said...

Beautiful pictures - I swear I hear them calling out to me to take a bite!!

Indian Khana said...

The steaming hot chana batura is like calling me...the pics are making me drool.....tht's a yummy combo..

Dori said...

I would have loved this for breakfast today!

andhratreat said...

looking good...i will try it

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Lovely combo and my favourite

Anonymous said...

Thanx. Need to make it tomorrow for guest. Guess this will work. :D