Wednesday, January 21, 2009

PONGAL WITH GOTSU

Pongal is one of my favorite rice dish.There are 2 types of pongal - sweet and spicy.I love both types but if given a choice i will lean more towards the spicy one.

Here first the rice is cooked along with moong dal(yellow) and then the seasonings and nuts are added to it.Its one of the most popular breakfast dishes in South India.I came across so many pongal dishes last week, but the one that really popped my eye was Sukanya's Pongal with Gotsu. I have eaten pongal many times but its usually along with chutney or shallot sambar.Gotsu was new to me.

Gotsu is a spicy and tangy dal based dish.Here Its made using eggplant and moong dal.The eggplant is cooked along with onions , tomatoes and some spices in the dal gravy.The combination of gotsu and pongal was simply incredible.The pongal simply melted in the mouth.I can have this day and night.



We loved it.Thank you sukanya for the recipe.

I am sending this to this months MBP - Easy Breezy breakfast event started by Coffee of The Spice Cafe and guest hosted by Simple Indian Food .

13 comments:

FH said...

Such a great combo, Ranji. I will make it once I get some Eggplants, Japanese ones. Send this to MBP-Breakfast to EC, great stuff! :))

Finla said...

I have neve rhad this gostu. Looks yummy.
And that channa batura in the earlier post loks so yummy delicius.

ranji said...

Thank u so much Asha for telling me..have send it!!Its so hard to keep track of events so many going on:)..

Hi HC..Thank u so much..u have to got to try this combo..its one of the best...:)

Suganya said...

Hi Ranji....
Glad that u like my pongal gotsu recipe. Looks great....

Loved ur channa bhatura recipe a lot. Never tried adding bread in the dough. Will try it soon. YUM!

Cham said...

One of classy tamilian combo looks so good and delicious :)

Vanamala Hebbar said...

both looks gr8 .....

Usha said...

Pongal with gotsu is my favorite combination. yours has turned out perfectly, looks tempting :-)

Sum Raj said...

great combination..have plan to try this gotsu tonite with chappati becuse rajesh is not very fond of pongal..hope it goes well with chappati..

Vaishali said...

This is such a classic combination, Ranji, and very popular too in my home. Looks delicious.

Unknown said...

Pongal is always comforting, with a side dish added to that will be awesome..

Nanditha Prabhu said...

i too love pongal.. love the spicy one more.. never tried gotsu before... will try out with pongal next time...

EC said...

This combi is a traditional and ultimate one..Thanks for the entry and thanks to Asha for suggesting the same

Unknown said...

Lovely combo ranji! Pics have come very good. I love pongal too. Havent prepared in a long while.