Friday, January 16, 2009

METHI DAL

Methi dal is one of my favorite dishes to have with rice.The flavor of methi leaves is simply incredible .You dont have to add any other flavor to the dish when you are cooking with methi leaves.Toor dal compliments the methi leaves very well in this dish.It reduces the slight bitter taste of the methi leaves.I can have this dish 5 days in a row or even 10 days in a row without getting tired of it.


INGREDIENTS
Methi leaves - a whole bunch, cleaned and chopped
Toor dal - 1 cup,cooked
shredded coconut - 1 cup
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
turmeric pdr - 1/4 tsp
urad dal - 2 tsp
curry leaves - of 1 sprig
red chillies - 3-4 nos
Garlic - 1 tsp
salt to taste
oil

METHOD

Coarsely grind the coconut and keep aside.Heat some oil in a pan.Add the mustard seeds.When it starts to crackle add urad dal,curry leaves,turmeric pdr and red chillies.Add the chopped garlic and saute for a couple of mins on a medium low flame.Then add the methi leaves and the cooked dal.The methi leaves will cook really fast in about 2 -3 mins.As soon as they become soft add the coconut and some salt.Stir it well and remove from the flame.Serve hot with rice.

16 comments:

FH said...

Mouthwatering dal.I will have to wait for Summer to get some fresh Methi again. Have a fun weekend there and be warm. It's so cold everywhere!!

Divya Kudua said...

I started including methi leaves recently in my diet..used to have only methi polo earlier,now I add it to pulao,rava dosa,chapathi etc.Dal and methi looks like a great combo and am sure will taste great with rice as well as rotis.

Chitra said...

Hi ,very easy to make and healthy :)Will Try this soon:)

Finla said...

Yummy yumm. Give me a plate of plain rice with these and i will be happy eating them.
A realy comfort food combo for me.

Cham said...

Me too i never get tired of dhal and green, droolworthy!

Madhavi said...

Lovely dish and looks mouthwatering yummmm!!!!

Uma said...

what a lovely dish! mmm. looks so mouth-watering!

Deepthi Shankar said...

I have had methi sambar, this is new to me. looks sooo yumm

Unknown said...

Ranji, love your dal :) I too like to add Methi, in different dishes, sometimes i use spinach if methi is not available.

Ashwini said...

hi, my first time here. Love methi with anything.. Dhall looks too good..

KonkaniBlogger said...

Hey Ranji, long time since I came here. I am like you with methi dal too, love it..I like your new layout here and the colors :)..

Anonymous said...

Very interesting combination. I always make dal-palak but never thought of using methi instead.

Sharmila said...

I do make methi dal but with yellow moong ... and do not add coconut. Must try sometime. :-)
Your dal methi looks so good.

Purnima said...

Wow..Ranji, mouthwatering daal...have noted ur way to try..I make methi once in a week, in toor daal, or parathas etc..kids eat it sneakofied form! :D

Sum Raj said...

looks great colour and yummy delicious curry that I can have it as it is..

Mallika said...

Mmmm, looks lovely. I have a bunch f methi sitting in my fridge right now.