Friday, June 20, 2008

LAYERED POROTTA and GOBI MANCHURI

Layered porotta or kerala porotta is one of my favorite flat breads. Its made with maida ,eggs (optional)and fat.So you can see its less in fibre content compared to other parathas.Unlike other parathas this one involves a special technique in order to get the layers.And so for this very reason i have constantly failed atleast 6-7 times to achieve the layers and also its soft and flaky texture until cham of spice club came to my rescue.She told me exactly what i was doing wrong.So thought of giving 1 more try and the result was more than satisfying.Her recipe and instructions are so easy to follow.Click here for the recipe.I cant thank you enough for this cham.
I am sending this to Srivalli's Roti Mela .




A closer look at the layers

My repeated failures were because i never let the dough rest for 5-6 hrs before rolling and so it had an elastic effect and also to get perfect layers after roasting it on a tawa u should keep the porotta covered in a cotton cloth and let it steam inside for 5-10 mins.This will make it soft and then we can easily pat it to get the layers out.

Since this is a mild tasting bread its usually eaten with some spicy curry.I love to eat this with chilli chicken or gobi manchuri.


GOBI MANCHURI

INGREDIENTS

Cauliflower - half of a whole piece, cut into florets
water
salt
oil for frying

Batter:-

All purpose flour - 1/4 cup
corn starch - 1 tbsp
gin-gar - 1 tbsp
red chilli pdr - 1 tsp
worchestershire sauce - 2 tsp
water as needed
salt

Gravy:-

Onion - 1 large onion , diced small
bell pepper(green/red) - 1 medium size,diced small
Fresh ginger - 2 tsp ,chopped fine
garlic cloves - 2 , chopped
green chillies - 3-4 , chopped fine
curry leaves - 1 sprig,roughly chopped
red chilli pdr - 1 tsp
tomato paste - 2 tbsp
ketchup - 2 tsp
worchestershire sauce - 3 tsp
corn starch - 1 1/2 tsp
water - 3 tbsp
sugar - a pinch
salt

METHOD

In a deep vessel bring some water to a boil.Add salt and drop the cauliflower florets and stir.Do not cover the vessel.Let it stand in there until they are tender but firm.Now drain out the water and keep them aside.

In a bowl mix all the ingredients needed to make the batter except water.Add enough water to make a thick batter.Add the florets and combine them well.

Heat oil in a wok.When it reaches the right temperature drop the florets slowly.Be careful not to overcrowd the wok then u wont get it crispy.Fry them till they are brown in color.Remove them and put them on a paper towel to drain off the excess oil.

Mix the cornstarch and water and keep aside. Heat some oil in a pan.Add the chopped ginger and garlic,curry leaves and green chillies.Saute them for a few seconds and then add onion,bell pepper and red chilli pdr.Add salt and saute until the onions get soft.Now add the tomato paste and worchestershire sauce and stir them all together.Sprinkle some water in order to thin out the tomato paste.Add ketchup and stir for couple more mins.Then add the mixture of cornstarch and water into the pan and stir until the gravy thickens.Finally add the fried florets and mix them well until they are combined.Check for salt.I like my manchuri semi dry.If you want more gravy add some more water while adding the cornstarch mixture.Remove from heat and serve with warm soft porottas.
I am sending this to DK's A.W.E.D - chinese event.

I had a few surprises this week -

Asha of Foodie hope and aroma gave me the "blogger with a purpose" award.Thank u so much asha.I was really thrilled to receive this from u :).I would like to pass on this award to
Roopa, Swathi , Suma and JZ .Congrats and enjoy:).




Meeso gave me the "you make my day award" and devi priya gave me the"nice matters award".Thank u so much meeso and devi.You gals really made my day :)



I am also very very happy to say that my rotini stuffed bell pepper won "the most creative recipe" in Pooja's VoW - Bell pepper event.I thank each and every one of u who voted for me.I am really flattered:).I also thank Pooja for hosting such a wonderful event.Congrats to Sia and Alka for winning the other categories.

30 comments:

@the_whisk_affair said...

woowww!!!! this is a fantastic post ranji!! my eyes are twinkling seeing the parathas and the manchurian!!!! would love to have some..my stomach was already rumbling when i came over, now its grrrowling!! :-)

thank you so much for the award, this is new to me...and i had voted for u for VoW-Bell peppers :-) CONGRATS on winning!!

hugs, and enjoy ur weekend!!

Finla said...

Congrats with the awards
And the parotta looks just like we get in kerala shops with the round layers.
Love the gobi manchuria too.
Delicious

FH said...

Excellent layers, should give us those tips Cham told you! :D
Really good flaky layers, not easy to make. Manchuri looks read and so tasty, great entry.

Enjoy all the awards, you deserve them and more. Have a fun weekend!:))

Cham said...

Fantastic Ranji! Girl, it is just perfect the layer and you suceed it. Hope you really followed my techni , i am really Happy to see it :)
I am drooling over ur manchurian, can i come over :)
Congrats on your winning awards, you just deserved it :) keep going ...

Unknown said...

Hiiii dear Ranji, Congrats on winning the Most creative recipe!! It definitly was a creative one:) The layered paratha looks awesome!! Thanks a lot for those tips you shared , Manchuri looks yummy:) Very good entry for the Chinese event:) Thanks a lot for considering me for the award:)

Laavanya said...

That parottas look fab Ranji.. so beautifully done. These 2 are among the top of my favorite foods so am absolutely drooling here!

FH said...

Very nice tips. I do let it rest for few hrs, but not 5-6 and steaming under the cloth covered is great a tip. Thanks to you and Cham, will try next time I make them!:))

Dori said...

Oh my goodness, this looks soooooo gooooood!!!! I tried to make these once, but they turned out too dry... I haven't tried since then. Your post makes me wanna give it another shot :)

ST said...

Ranji, parothas look Splendid.....Congrats on your winning awards, you just deserved it :)

Swati Raman Garg said...

wowowwwww... perfect parottas haan ... too good ho yaar...

heyy i have a small something for you in my blog.. come over and check it :)

Unknown said...

Oh Ranji..How I mis these parottas..THey are famous in my place Tuticorin.And that would taste heavenly with the manchurian

Unknown said...

and congrats on ur award gal

Sum Raj said...

ur parathas r the same look ranji...manchurian r mind blowing....just luved both of ur recipes...ur dish all rocks..and thank u soo much for passing the award....am soo happy to recieve new award from u...

Uma said...

wow, those parathas look divine, Ranji! And the manchurian is just mouth-watering. Yummy! Congrats on all the well deserved awards. Enjoy your weekend.

Divya Kudua said...

Wow Ranji,parathas and gobi manchurian-the ultimate combo!!parathas are looking so good with the layers,got to try it soon.congrats for your blog awards as well as for your creative award!!!you rock!!!

Arundathi said...

Ranji - yours look perfect! my husband would die in awe and disbelief if I managed to make these - he's a huge fan of parottas. I've gotta try it and thanks for the link to Cham's - her pictures are really superb.

Unknown said...

Hi Ranji:) Its better to use a thick flesh fish like steak, else the fish might break off while frying in the kadai.

Srivalli said...

wow..they look too good!..thanks for the entry!

Devi Priya said...

Congratulations on the most creative recipe. The photo looks great!

Unknown said...

Girl - U r rocking :) That is one killer combo and ur parathas loook perfecto! shud try using Cham's tips - never managed to get that perfect parotta yet! Ur gobi manchurian is to die for :) love the color :) Thanks for sending it to the event :)

DK
(culinarybazaar.blogspot.com)

Mallika said...

Someone was asking me how to make layered (lachcha) paratha the other days. Looks fabulous!

Unknown said...

superrrrrrrrrrrrrrr/fantasticccccccccc.... great click... looks yummy

TBC said...

I love gobi manchurian and love the fiery red color of this one. Congrats on all your awards! :D

Sig said...

so, thats the secret for those layers huh? Thanks to you and cham for educating us :) Congrats on your well deserved win for the most creative bell pepper recipe...

Andhra Flavors said...

Fantastic Ranji! it is just perfect the layer and.
congrates on Your awards.

FoodieFriend said...

aha! Your blog is full of delicious dishes...I'm sure that a gluttonous person like me would love visiting your blog often....

Unknown said...

simply superb.I loved the paratha and manchurian looks awesome.I love Indo chinese.Bookmarked

kamala said...

The parotas came out perfect Ranji..I too made parota for the Roti mela..Manchurian looks too good Ranji

@the_whisk_affair said...

hey girl, theres something for u on my blog!! once again, thank you so much for my award! :-)

Unknown said...

Good commbo..parottas looks perfect.I too let the dough sit for atleast 5 hrs..