Saturday, November 8, 2008

RONTOSE with POTATO DALI THOY

Rontose with potato dali thoy is a common breakfast item for konkani's.Its very similar to poori but made of rice flour.Unlike poori which is flattened using a rolling pin, rontose requires a presser to flatten it evenly.If you dont have the presser you can put the ball in between 2 plastics and press it down using a flat bottom pan.I love this more than the poori and its one of my favorites.I could never make it for the past 3 yrs since i could never get the consistency right.Mom came to my rescue, when she was here she made it for us and i loved each and every bite of it.
This is my post on day 8 of Recipe Marathon.

RONTOSE

INGREDIENTS

Rice flour - 2 cups
maida or wheat flour - 1 cup
salt - 1/2 tsp
boiled water - 1 3/4 cup


METHOD

Mix both flours and salt together in a mixing bowl and keep aside. Boil just a little more than 1 1/2 cup of water and pour into the flour while stiring with a spatula. Close and wait for 10-15 mints. Oil your palms before kneading the dough.Make small balls. Press using a presser(a tortilla press or a flat bottom pan as explained earlier).Serve hot with potato thoy.



THOY

INGREDIENTS

Toor dal - 1 cup
potato - 1 medium size,diced small

mustard seeds - 1 tsp
red chilli - 3-4 nos
cumin seeds - 1 tsp
curry leaves - of 1 sprig
turmeric powder - a pinch
salt

METHOD

Pressure cook dal and potatoes together with some salt.In a kadai heat some oil.Add mustard seeds.When it starts to crackle add cumin seeds,curryleaves,red chillies and turmeric.Add this to the dal and potato mixture.Serve hot with rontose.

Check what my marathon buddies have posted on this weekend!!!

1) DK

2) Siri

3) Srivalli

5)PJ

6)Curry Leaf

7)Medha

8)Priya

9)Bhawna

10)Raaji

11)Ruchii

12)Anu

13)Kamala

14)Roopa

15)Divya Kudua

16)Rekha

17)Divya M

18)Lakshmi

19)Raaga

20)Lakshmi Venkatesh

21)Sripriya

22)Viji

23)Pavani

18 comments:

Padmajha said...

thoy looks simple yet tempting..will surely try it out.

Kitchen Chronicles said...

Rontose with rice flour very new to me. Looks exactly like Puris. Looks delicious.

Unknown said...

New recipes to me, looks lovely.

Bhawana said...

wow Ranji, thats new to me. I make rice roti or paratha. never thought of making poori. but I am sure it must be very tasty :). urs plate looks mouthwatering. looking at this in saturday morning u can think of wht is going on in my mind. lovely.

CurryLeaf said...

My favourite weekend bfast.I do not add maida though.Absolutely lovely

Cham said...

First time i am hearing and seeing such a food... Looks like puri masala but not, very delicious

Divya Kudua said...

I've been planning since long to post rontosse but you beat me to it Ranji..;-).I simply loooove it but its been ages since I made/had it!!

Unknown said...

Havent heard of these..Looks very much like pooris..Nice recipe.

Kalai said...

These are new dishes to me. Great idea for a different meal! Looks delicious, Ranji! :)

Unknown said...

hey i thot they are normal puri s but not looks intresting new to me

DK said...

For a second, I thought I came to a wrong site! The template looks cool Ranj :)

Was checking last few recipes. Love the addition of Pineapple in Kurma...I somehow never use that ..shud go for it now.

Then there is this Cake! mam mia! U do love your pineapples girl.

The poori and Thoy look amazing too. Those puffed up poori;s make a pretty pic :)

Srivalli said...

they so tempting ranji!..great puris/...

Pavani said...

it looks so cute..we make this every sunday as our breakfast

Raaga said...

I have neother heard of this dish nor potato dali thoy... very new to me and I shall bookmark this.

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious and mouthwatering. those puffed rice puris are irrewsistable.....................

Anonymous said...

Hi Ranji,

I love rontos, we don't add maida/flour to it. We make it with rice powder only... and ummm the potato thoy.. am missing home

Archana

kamala said...

This is new to me Ranji..Vey delicious

Medhaa said...

this is like comfort food. Love the picture